Constipation is a common symptom in children that is characterized by the absence of feces for several days in a row and the appearance of hard poop.
It is unique in children
Children who suffer from constipation are treated differently than adults because the bowel is different from birth and up to 3-4 years. Most children with constipation do not suffer from any disease that may be the cause of the illness.
Causes of constipation in children
* Changes in diet affect bowel movements. When a child begins to eat the foods that usually adults eat may suffer from constipation.
* Older children, who eat many sweets, are also likely to suffer from constipation.
* Constipation is due to reduced consumption of fluids.
* Any childhood illness that causes fever, the longer stay in bed, eating less and dehydration can decrease the frequency of the child seat, causing constipation.
* Some medications can cause constipation in children as in adults.
* Some medical problems can promote constipation in children: hypothyroidism, Hirschsprung disease, diabetes, mental retardation, cystic fibrosis or spinal cord injury.
Generally, if a child has less than three stools a week, if the stools are hard and difficult to remove, then he/she suffers from constipation.
Children who suffer from constipation may have dizziness. Also, the feces may contain traces of blood, because the poop is very hard and harms the anus when it is being eliminated.
How to prevent constipation in young children
To treat constipation in children, first parents should be educated on how to prevent constipation.
* Parents need to ensure their child drink enough water.
* If any child suffer from constipation, children older than 6 months can drink fruit juices: apples, pears, plums and vegetable soups.
* For older children, first measure to be taken is to increase intake of dietary fiber (beans, peas, peaches, plums, pears, apricots, spinach, and cauliflower) along with fruit juices. children over one year old should take a diet that includes vegetables and fruits.
* Reduce the intake of foods that can cause constipation: cow milk, cheese, bananas.
* In children, constipation is harder to treat because of overlapping hard psychological factors influenced by their age. Therefore, parents should be patient with their kids, to pay attention for daily use of the potty.
In most cases, constipation in children is due to improper eating and refusal to go to the toilet. Therefore, balanced diet and educating children to go to the bathroom habit are measures to resolve constipation.